The English major consists of 36 hours of English (ENGL) courses, 18 of which must be at the 4000-level or above. You must earn a C or better in any course counted toward the English major.
English Core (9 hours)
The English Core consists of three parts:
1. A course in linguistics and rhetoric (3 hours) chosen from the following:*
3110 Survey of Linguistics
3120 Survey of Rhetoric
4140 Language Variation
4150 Topics in Language Study
4160 Technology, Literacy, & Culture
4180 Rhetorical Theory & Practice
5410 History of the English Language
*Students in the professional and public writing track CANNOT choose 3120 or 4180 to satisfy this requirement.
2. A course in globalism, sustainability, or diversity (3 hours) chosen from the following:
3710 Survey of African-American Literature
3850 Study in London
3870 World English Literature
4160 Technology, Literacy, and Culture
4450 African-American Literature
4710 Topics in Gender & Literature
4720 Topics in Minority Voices & Literature
4740 Environment, Literature, and Culture
3. A course in 4000-level literature (3 hours). Students in the literature track MUST take 3130 to satisfy this requirement.
Major Track (18 hours)
English Electives (9 hours)
- Any three ENGL courses not required in English core or major track
- No more than one of these courses can be from the 2000-level
In addition to the requirements above, the English major requires a minor. Your minor must be in a field that will help you achieve your career goals.
More details can be found in the Auburn Bulletin.