Phi Alpha Honor Society
The purposes of Phi Alpha Honor Society are to provide a closer bond among students of social work and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals. To be eligible for membership of the Tau Gamma Chapter of Phi Alpha, students must meet the criteria below:
- Students must have completed 9 credit-hours in Social Work.
- Students must have completed 37.5% (45 hrs.) of the required coursework (120 hrs.) toward the degree. The student will be at least a second-semester sophomore.
- Students must have an overall GPA in the top 35% of all Social Work majors in the AU SOWO Program who meet all of the criteria listed above.
- Students must have successfully completed SOWO 4060 Social Work Practice Methods I with a B or better.
- Students must have earned an average faculty rating of 3.3 or higher on the following 8 professional behaviors from the Rubric for Assessing Professional Behaviors: initiation of communication, respect, self-awareness, diversity awareness, course engagement, written expression, initiative and reliability, responsiveness to feedback, and quality and quantity of work.
This chapter of the National Social Work Honor Society holds an initiation ceremony jointly each spring with the Tau Theta Chapter at Tuskegee University. The initiates work closely with the Auburn Association of Student Social Workers (AASSW) and the faculty to sponsor educational programs and community projects. For more information, go to the Phi Alpha Honor Society website.
Last Updated: February 05, 2020