PhD, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
MA, Middlebury College
MA, University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa
BA, Southern Methodist University
Hispanic poetry, Spanish American women writers, Afro-Hispanic expression, urban studies, gender studies, queer theory, illness and aesthetic bodies, ecofeminism, exile and immigrant literature, literary translation and creative writing
- Gutiérrez, Jana F. and Socarrás, Gilda. “Molding Minds: Community and University Seek Equal Partnership through Language Studies.” Scholarship in Action: Communities, Leaders, and Citizens. Eds. Barbara A. Baker, Kathleen Hale, and Giovanna Summerfield. 66-78.
- “Daisy Zamora.” and "Josefina Plá." Latin American Women Writers: An Encyclopedia. Eds. María Claudia André and Eva Paulina Bruno. Routledge, 2007.
- “Two Havana Love Songs: Reconsidering ‘Amor, ciudad atribuida’ by Nancy Morejón." Utah Foreign Language Review (2005): 14: 47-60.
- “Finally Free: The Female Artist and the City in Dulce María Loynaz’s Jardín (Feministas Unidas Essay Prize)” Letras Femeninas. (Dec. 2005): 11-26.
- “Her Havana: Cuban Women Writers Imagining a City of One’s Own.” Women and Environments International Magazine. (May 2004): 16-17.
- “POESIdA: Hispanic Writers Respond to AIDS.” MIFLC Review 11 (2002): 1-24.
- "Fina García Marruz." Dictionary of Literary Biography: Modern Spanish American Poets. Ed. María A. Salgado. 283.1: 109-16.
- FLSP 3010: Spanish Phonetics
- FLSP 3020: Spanish Syntax
- FLSP 3030: Spanish Conversation
- FLSP 3040: Spanish Composition
- FLSP 3100: Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- FLSP 3130: Topics in Hispanic Music
- FLSP 3150: Topics in Hispanic Media: Latinos in Mass Media
- FLSP 3220: Spanish-American Civilization II
- FLSP 3310: Commercial Translation
- FLSP 4310: Business Spanish I
- FLSP 4320: Business Spanish II
- FLSP 4330: Topics in Hispanic Commercial World: Hispanic Marketing
- FLSP 4420: Topics in Hispanic Literature and Culture
- FLSP 6020: Advanced Spanish Syntax
- FLSP 7050: Literary Criticism and Theory
- FLSP 7220: Spanish American Poetry I
- FLSP 7230: Spanish American Poetry II