Frequently Asked Questions

If none of these answers help you, please send an email to

Where do I find information on scholarships and financial aid?

The College of Liberal Arts offers many scholarships in recognition of student achievement and to support academic enrichment and student research. 

Find out more information on scholarships available through CLA

Find out more information from the university’s office of Student Financial Services

Where may I see my CLA advisor?

Advisors in the Dean's Office (321 Tichenor Hall) see students by appointment from 8:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., and from 1:15 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. In addition, a "Triage" advisor is available during the same hours for walk-in emergencies. General advising is not done by triage, and must be done by your assigned advisor through the online appointment system.

Schedule an appointment online using Advise Assist.

Who is my CLA advisor?

The College of Liberal Arts utilizes a dual advising system. Students are assigned advisors in the CLA Student Services Center, respective to last name. Once students declare a major, they are assigned a faculty advisor, who then functions as the primary advisor. For faculty advisor listings and information about departmental advising contact your major department.

How do I make an appointment with my CLA advisor?

Schedule an appointment online using Advise Assist

In general, you do not need to make an appointment in person. However, if you are transferring to Liberal Arts, please stop by 321 Tichenor to drop off your folder before making an appointment.

How do I declare or change my major?

To declare a major, students must see their advisor in the Student Services Center and then meet with an assigned faculty advisor. To change majors within Liberal Arts, students must also see their CLA advisor.

Click here for more information on changing your major.

How do I change from the Liberal Arts to another college?

In order to change colleges, students must visit the Student Services Center (321 Tichenor ) and receive a "Change of Major" form. Students will present this form and their folder to their new college. Students must meet their new advisor so as to receive a curriculum sheet and discuss their course of study.

Why am I unable to register for courses? What is a Registration Hold?

Several things can prevent students from registering for classes. If this occurs, students are informed that they have a "registration hold." Oasis enables students to view all "registration holds." Students can be prevented from registering for the following reasons:

Departmental Procedures

Certain departments hold registration until the student has met with his/her faculty advisor.

Dean's Advisor

Sometimes advisors prevent students from registering as a means to establish contact

Bursar's Office

If students have unpaid bills, the Bursar's Office will prevent them from registering

Medical Forms (STHC)

If students have failed to return completed Medical Forms, they will be prohibited from registering


Students who are returning to school after a suspension need to contact the Registrar's Office


Students register according to classification. In other words, a student must be classified by the university as a sophomore, junior, or senior in order to register during allotted times. If students attempt to register at an improper time, they will be informed that they do not have the correct classification to register at that time.

How do I know if credits from a previous institution have transferred to Auburn University?

Students must meet with their advisor to know which credits from another institution have been applied to an Auburn degree. Whereas the Admissions Office determines which courses are needed for admission to Auburn University, the Dean's Office decides how those credits will apply toward degree requirements. There are many issues surrounding transfer credit so it is imperative that students meet with their advisors.

What is the Grade Adjustment Policy (GAP)?

The Grade Adjustment Policy (GAP) allows a student to delete a maximum of three course grades of D or F/FA/U from their grade point average. If the deleted course grade is a degree requirement, then the class must be repeated at Auburn University. A GAP cannot be completed until the course grade is posted.

How do I calculate my Grade Point Average?

A 4.0 grade scale is used. An "A" equals 4.0; "B" equals 3.0, "C" equals 2.0, "D" equals 1.0, "F" equals 0.0. To find your average, divide quality points by credit hours attempted. Quality points are determined by multiplying the number corresponding to the course grade by the number of credit hours for the course. Only classes attempted at Auburn University are used in determining the grade point average. S/U grades do not enter into grade-point computations. If students wish to calculate their grade point average, they can use the GPA Calculator.

What do I need to do if I am on academic warning?

An "academic warning" is imposed at the end of any semester for which the student's cumulative Grade Point Average falls below 2.00. The warning indicates that the student might be suspended from Auburn University if her/his Grade Point Average continues to drop. Students on warning should see their advisor and inquire about resources for academic assistance.

How do I return to school if I have been placed on academic suspension?

Students must serve the length of their suspension, specified as either one or two semesters. Summer is considered as a term rather than a semester. If a student fails to achieve the designated minimum Grade Point Average after returning from a two-semester suspension, that student will be expelled. Students have the right to appeal a suspension and petition for early re admittance. To be readmitted, students must work closely with Academic Support Services.

How do I get a grade forgiven?

To have a grade forgiven a student must come to the Student Services Center and meet with an advisor. It usually takes 2-3 days for the GAP to be processed. Grade adjustments cannot be done over the phone or email.

Where do I receive Auburn University transcripts?

Students can receive transcripts from the Registrar's Office, located at 100 Mary Martin Hall. Official transcripts are mailed to a designated institution.

How can I take courses at another school while remaining an Auburn student? What is a transient form? What is concurrent enrollment?

To take courses at another school, students need a "transient form" from the Registrar's Office. Students must have this form completed by their Dean's College. It is important that students know which courses they plan to take, preferably bringing the intended school's course bulletin to their advisor. Students should note that "concurrent enrollment" -- attending simultaneously Auburn University and another school -- is prohibited by the College of Liberal Arts.

What is my classification and why is it so important?

Classification refers to a student's status or class standing:

Freshman 01 30 or fewer semester hours
Sophomore 02 31 to 60 semester hours
Junior 03 61 to 90 semester hours
Senior 04 91 or more semester hours

Classification is important because it determines the student's registration times. Also, certain classes are only open to students with a specific class standing. Other items linked to class standing include: scholarships, housing, parking, etc.

Is it acceptable to be classified as an undeclared student? When should I declare a major?

It is acceptable to be classified as an undeclared student, but students should begin exploring majors and possible careers as early as possible. Students must declare a major by the end of the semester in which they have accumulated 45 semester credits, including transfer work.

How can I drop/add courses? When can I do it?

Through the fifth day of classes each fall and spring semester, students can attempt to add themselves to a course through Tiger i. After the fifth class day, students who wish to add a course need to go directly to the relevant academic department with that request. The University allows each department the ability to add students to courses though the 15th day of classes. However, departments are allowed to determine their own “cut-off” day (up to the 15th class day) of adding students to courses. As a practical matter, if a student wishes to add a course, it is strongly recommended that s/he do so no later than the first day of the semester. Adding a course after the 15th class day requires permission from the Dean's Office. Students can acquire the necessary forms from the CLA Student Services Center, located in 321 Tichenor.

In the University’s academic calendar,,

four periods of each fall and spring semester are noted. They are:

  • First 5 days of the semester (no grade penalty; drop course on tiger i)
  • Days 6–15 of the semester (no grade penalty; $100 per course drop fee; drop course on tiger i)
  • Day 16–Mid-semester (“W” on transcript for course; drop course on tiger i)
  • After Mid-semester (Only possible in very rare cases and with permission of Dean; “W” or “WF” recorded on transcript)

Those time periods and their relevance to the University’s Course Drop Policy are explained at the Registrar’s page:

How do I audit a class while taking other courses for credit?

To audit a class a student must first get approval from the department head of the course involved. Following departmental approval the dean must grant permission for the course to be audited. Students may not change from audit to credit after classes begin but may change from credit to audit until the fifteenth class day.

What must be done in order to graduate? What is a Graduation Credit Check?

In order to graduate, students must perform a credit check with their CLA advisor and complete a "Diploma Application" in the Registrar's Office.

How can I resign from Auburn University?

To resign, or drop all courses, a student must contact the Student Services Center and complete a "Resignation Form." Students cannot resign by phone or computer.

Last Updated: October 17, 2016