- Do you accept applications for Spring or Summer?
- No, new students are admitted once a year beginning in the fall.
- Do you have a minimum GRE score that applicants must meet?
- No, we do not have a minimum GRE score requirement. The evaluation of each applicant is based on all the materials in the file and is not exclusively based on test scores.
- What is Auburn’s GRE code?
- Auburn’s institutional GRE code is 1005.
- How many new students do you admit each year?
- We admit about 15 new students to the MA program each year and 6-8 to the PhD program.
- Does Auburn offer a straight-through PhD?
- No, the MA and PhD programs require separate applications. MA students who wish to continue in our PhD program would apply during their second year of study.
- When will I learn if I’ve been accepted?
- Applicants are notified of admissions decisions in the middle of March.
- What are your foreign language proficiency requirements?
- By the time they complete the degree, MA students must demonstrate reading proficiency in one foreign language. PhD students must show proficiency in two languages or advanced proficiency in one. Consult our on-line Graduate Student Handbook for more details about how to satisfy the language requirement.
- Does the MA degree require a thesis?
- No, students in the MA program do not write a thesis, although they can pursue a longer writing project as part of an approved independent study course. All students submit a portfolio of work prepared under the guidance of their Advisory Committee and must pass an oral examination based on the portfolio. Additional details about the portfolio requirement can be found in the on-line Graduate Student Handbook.
Last Updated: August 03, 2012